- 2 medium eggplants
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sm. onion grated
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 2 C. breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 C. Parmgiano Reggiano cheese, divided
- 3 eggs, divided
- 5-6 sprigs thyme
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves chopped
- handful of flat leaf parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sm ball fresh mozzarella, diced into sm cubes
- 1 C. flourOil for light fry…I use olive oil but you can use whatever you like.Prep:
Cut eggplant lenghtwise, rub cut sides with olive oil, place on baking sheet cut sides down and roast in 400 degree oven for approx. 30 min. (until tender)
When cooled scoop insides out of flesh and puree in food processor. Transfer to mixing bowl.
Combine eggplant, onion, garlic, 1 C breadcrumbs and 1/2 C parm regg cheese, 1 egg, all the herbs and salt and pepper. Add extra breadcrumbs if too wet.
*you can roll them into balls now or I refrigerate for 30 min then roll (makes them easier to handle)
Roll into slightly flattened balls place a piece of fresh mozzarella in center and enclose with mixture.
Set up a breading station.
Flour in a dish
2 eggs beaten in a dish
Remaining breadcrumbs and parm regg cheese in another dish
Coat each eggplant ball (in order)
Fry in oil approx 2 minutes turning over once.
**When we are trying to eat a little healthier I Bake them at 375 degrees for 12 min on each side.
I serve with fresh marinara sauce.