Varieties we grow and love:
- Waltham- the classic butternut
- Betternut- a smaller, more reasonable size squash
- and Honeynut- miniature butternut, weighing 1-2lbs
As always, fresh produce is most delicious and nutritious when consumed as close to the harvest date as possible.
Butternut, as with other winter squash, should be stored in a cool, dry space. Our Farmhouse attic serves well…until it freezes up there and I have to move them into the back hall 😉
Check your butternut stash weekly and if you see a bad spot, cut out the spot and use immediately. If you have several go at the same time, take advantage and process it all at once, freezing in portions useful to you. Cooked butternut freezes beautifully.
– can be enjoyed in:
- pureed for big people AND little people
- cubed and roasted
- instead of pasta in your lasagna
Tips for preparing:
Also check out these great recipes: