Varieties we grow and love:
Javelin is our mainstay…but they are all pretty much the same. We have limited varieties in the northeast because they are a long season crop.
As always, fresh produce is most delicious and nutritious when consumed as close to the harvest date as possible.
Parsnips appear in the late Fall and will keep beautifully in cold storage. They like high humidity, so keep them wrapped. They will store easily until the Spring harvest begins. Again, in the Spring, they will keep perfectly well in plastic in the fridge.
– can be enjoyed in:
- fabulous steamed/boiled gently, topped with butter…hard to beat.
- roasted and tossed in salad – a little fresh mint sets it off just right
Tips for preparing:
- A good scrubbing is all they need when fresh
- When taken out of storage, it is best to peel them
- regardless of peeling or no, have pot of cold water ready to put slices/chunks into so they do not discolor
Also check out these great recipes:
Roasted Parsnips in Salad